Double Tree by Hilton Dar es Salaam Oyster Bay

By 22:03


As soon as I stepped into the hotel, I noticed the décor finishes and ambience synonymous with the Hilton hotels that I've been to in South Africa. It feels very much like an upmarket city hotel until you take a walk around the back to view Oyster Bay where the hotel nestles against the banks of the cove. A wooden pier goes out into the calm bay to a thatched viewing deck to overlook the calm serenity of the waters and of the fishing boats.


Before I became lost in my surroundings, I was warmly welcomed by reception staff. They handed me a warm fresh-from-the-oven cookie – completely unexpected given the norm of welcome drinks at hotels. Reception staff is friendly and in general the hotel staff are always greeting guests and teaching them a little Swahili in passing.


The rooms are very spacious for a 4 star graded hotel but what I really like is the business desk and comfortable office chair in the corner of the room. It’s quite refreshing for a hotel of this nature to realise that people on business trips are here to work and therefore provide the resources to do so comfortably. The paper is delivered to your door every morning and it’s a great way to kill traffic time when taking a cab to work.

The décor matches the old school wooden doors throughout the hotel but with so much space, the wooden furniture doesn't over-power the room. I’m not a huge fan of the tiled floors but these leave the room feeling clean, bright and sparkly...and it's oh-so-refreshing to cool to walk on the cold tiles barefoot when coming in from the hot sun outside. 

I was a bit disappointed with the view from my second floor hotel room. It was sea facing – exactly what I wanted – but the view was more of the large palm trees blocking the ocean from me. Knowing that the ocean is just behind those trees is good enough for me though.  The view of the pool area, though, does make me feel like I am on holiday instead of slaving away. I am extremely jealous of my colleague who is just a floor below me yet hers overlooked the pool, palm trees and the bay!


I simply love all the greenery of trees, shrubs and flowers growing around and between the hotel buildings – it keeps in theme of the humid climate of the city it is in.


Breakfast is my favourite meal served at the restaurant. Not only do they have a full English breakfast and continental buffet, they also offer a variety of Indian foods for breakfast too – bhajias, rotis and jeera rice were some of the tastes of the East that I am devouring every morning.

I’d much rather experience other restaurants rather than be cooped up in the hotel. The are many restaurants situated a few minutes away from the hotel. Among them is the The Waterfront – a lively restaurant right against the waters. There is also a market to shop for curios and little gifts to take back home. Given the roads and driving styles in Dar-es-salaam, I’m quite grateful that restaurants and markets are just a short walk away.  

Given the choice of so many hotels Dar-es-salaam has to offer, I think I’m happy with my choice of staying at Double Tree over the next two weeks.

You Might Also Like

0 comments