Garden Route Trip

By 17:58

The idea of the Garden Route trip came about when I decided to spend Diwali with my boyfriend’s HUGE family in Port Elizabeth. Since it was my first time in PE and the Eastern Cape, we thought it would be a great idea to travel along the Garden Route. Since the Garden Route starts in PE, we decided to continue down that path through to Cape Town in order to fly back home.


After meeting practically all of PE and loving everyone’s hospitality, we spent some time being tourists and doing some things that even my boyfriend hadn’t experienced while living in PE for 18 years.


We then headed to Tsitsikamma. I remember having little postcards from all over South Africa when I was little. I loved the Tsitsikamma photos but I really didn’t know much about the area. Seeing the beautiful scenery was way better than imagining it through postcard photos.


I’ve always wanted to go to Knysna because of William Smith punting it during A Word or 2 and because that’s where oysters come from. I’m not a fan of oysters but I figure it’s always better to try out food from where they are sourced. I often find that certain foods taste different when shipped off to Joburg.



After spending two days in Knysna, we headed off to Hermanus. When I last went to Cape Town I so desperately wanted to see whales. None of my friends were keen on it so I shelved that dream for a while. This time I marvelled at seeing these gigantic creatures and learning all about them.


Franschhoek was the last destination on our trip. While I love Cape Town, I have been there a few times so I figured I’d experience the winelands instead. I imagine France to be like Franschoek in terms of food, the look of the streets and of course, the amazing rows of vines in bloom.


The Cape Town airport signalled the end of my trip. Over the next few days, I’ll blog about my trip in a bit more detail. For now, I’m already dreaming of my next road trip – I just don’t know where. If you have any ideas, please leave a comment on this post. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments