Why Valentine’s Day is not that important to me

By 13:50

Don’t get me wrong. Surprise me with a bunch of flowers on V-day and I will be totally infatuated with you. It probably stems from the fact that I’ve never really been romantically spoiled until recent years.  Now that I am loved ALL THE TIME, I think the whole concept of Valentine’s Day, for established couples, is really silly.


I mean, what’s the point? Is it like a day to create awareness – like World Aids Day? I doubt it. We’re surrounded by love all the time especially when the wave of weddings hit. It’s preached in religion and all forms of modern entertainment. It’s whispered by giggling girls and dreamed off by the ones who long for that romantic love. The world is aware. So what is really about?

Some people jokingly call this Hallmark Day – a day that retailers cash in on sales from cards, chocolates and gifts. Despite knowing this, the majority of people still celebrate it because it’s important. This day symbolises the love we have or want to have.

I love the concept that everyday should be Valentine’s Day. I thoroughly believe that. All too often I see couples who aren’t at their lovey-dovey best throughout the year but on this special day, they put aside whatever differences they have and show their love.

I like to think that sprinkling love and adventure every day is far more important than the forced bunch of roses I can show off on one specific day of the year. I like that I feel loved every day. The Husband and I surprise each other with little events, games and random gifts all the time. Even better than surprise gifts are the well thought out decisions we make together on what we’d like to spend our money on to spoil ourselves.

The truth is that love is not a candlelit dinner. It’s making a plan together when finances look gloomy. It’s cheering each other up when the one has a bad day and knowing when to leave your partner alone. It’s having fun while preparing for the daunting and expensive task of having a baby. It’s sharing household responsibilities. It’s appreciating the sacrifices. It’s making soup when the other has man-flu. It’s debating over what the next holiday should be when your ideas of travel and relaxation are so different. It’s surviving a whole day of sport on TV. It’s also about knowing when to celebrate a day you don’t believe in because it’s important to your partner.

If you’re celebrating Valentine’s Day as an established couple, that’s awesome. I think it’s great to be able to reflect on why you fell in love and maybe even rekindle some lost passion. But also think about how you’re going to experience the love on 15 February…and the day after that and in the weeks and months to come. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments